David Bernardoni is a partner at Kulik Gottesman Siegel & Ware LLP. Mr. Bernardoni represents businesses, including their directors and officers. He concentrates his multifaceted practice in the areas of civil litigation, general counsel, and intellectual property transactional work.
Mr. Bernardoni understands that each of his clients have different legal and business objectives and he works closely with clients to develop a legal strategy that meets their needs. Mr. Bernardoni has a proven track record of winning cases early in the process before trial, however, he has also developed exceptional trial experience when proceeding to trial is the best course of action to meet his clients’ objectives. He has successfully obtained numerous defense verdicts in favor of his clients, including recovery of their attorney’s fees and costs.
Mr. Bernardoni also serves as general counsel to many of his clients, including real estate development companies and hotel owners. He protects his clients not only in litigation and general counsel matters, but also protects their intellectual property rights, including trademark protection.
Examples of recent successes in the civil litigation matters include:
- Prevailed on a motion for summary judgment in a disability discrimination lawsuit filed against the owner of the tallest apartment building in the San Fernando Valley.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a director for a homeowners association following a one-month jury trial.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a homeowners association following a twoweek jury trial. He subsequently obtained an award of $154,617.59 in attorney’s fees and costs on behalf of the association.
- Prosecuted a breach of contract claim brought by a manufacturer against a contractor.Following a bench trial, Mr. Bernardoni obtained a judgment in favor of the manufacturer.
- Prevailed on a case dispositive motion on behalf of a client who had been sued for wrongful eviction and to quiet title.
- Obtained the dismissal a homeowner association and its individual directors (by way of demurrer) in an action brought for personal injuries.
- Prevailed on multiple anti-SLAPP motions against homeowner associations and their board of directors with award of attorney’s fees and costs as prevailing parties.
- Prevailed on a pre-trial motion for judgment on the pleadings against a cross-complaint relating to a homeowner association’s enforcement of its architectural standards.
- Prevailed on motion for terminating sanctions against a plaintiff for violations of the
Discovery Act after obtaining a dismissal from the other plaintiff in exchange for waiver of costs and fees.
- Obtained the voluntary dismissal of a homeowner association president after filing a motion for summary judgment. Obtained a money judgment in favor of said defendant in excess of $70,000.
- Obtained dismissal of a multiple defendant board members in numerous actions in exchange for waiver of costs and fees.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Bernardoni was a training manager for Sprint PCS, where he trained over 1,000 employees in connection with the launch of the Sprint PCS network in cities throughout the United States.
Prior to joining Kulik Gottesman Siegel & Ware in 2006, Mr. Bernardoni was associated with the law firm Ropers, Majeski Kohn & Bentley, where he defended over 80 first-party contract and bad faith cases arising out of the adjustment of claims from the 1994 Northridge earthquake.
Mr. Bernardoni was elected to the Lake Balboa Neighborhood Council, and served as President from 2008- 2010. In 2010, he was appointed by Los Angeles City Councilman Tony Cardenas to serve on the prominent Van Nuys Airport Citizens Advisory Council (“CAC”). The CAC advises the Los Angeles Board of Airport Commissioners and the Los Angeles City Council on matters relating to the Van Nuys Airport.
In 2013, Mr. Bernardoni was selected to the California Super Lawyers Rising Stars list. Mr. Bernardoni was recognized for his work in the area of civil litigation defense. Each year, no more than 2.5 percent of the attorneys in California are named to the Super Lawyers Rising Stars list, which recognizes up-and-coming attorneys who are age 40 or younger, or who have been in practice for 10 years or less. The annual selections are made using a rigorous multiphased process that includes a statewide survey of lawyers, an independent research evaluation of candidates, and peer reviews by practice area. Mr. Bernardoni was the first attorney at Kulik Gottesman Siegel & Ware LLP to be named to the Rising Stars list.
As a member of the Community Associations Institute (“CAI”), Mr. Bernardoni provides education to the homeowners associations and the professionals supporting the associations.